new

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Sprucin' up the place

Quote: "Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."-George Bernard Shaw

Earlier I posted about my DIY chalkboard that I absolutely LOVE. The week I created the chalkboard was our week of SPRUCIN' UP THE APARTMENT. Allie and I threw a surprise 30th birthday bash for our roommate, and her older sister. I'll post about the party later.

Because of the Surprise Bash Allie and I wanted to put the last finishing knick knacks and touches to the apartment before we had people over.

We teamed up and created the chalkboard and some cute little buckets to hang in our bathroom.

We went to Home Depot and bought 3 little tin paint buckets. They were like $2.50 each.



Then we picked out a spray paint color. It took us a long time to decide because I wanted a bright color and she wanted a muted color. So we compromised and went with beige so it can match any room.


Once we got back to our apartment we spray painted the tin buckets beige. We did 3 coats just to be safe. But be careful because the spray paint runs if you don't let it dry all the way between coats. Whoops.


Then we hung them on our towel rod in the bathroom above the toliet. We filled one bucket with wash cloths, one with potpourri, and the last with sprays and lotions.




All in all I think they turned out pretty cute. We faced the bucket with the side of dripped paint towards the wall and you'd never know.

Pretty cheap and cute way to store things in the bathroom!

-----------------------------------

One night I was trying to figure out what to do with a left over mason jar I had. I think mason jars are the best things ever. You can use them as storage, cups, food savers, etc. They can be used for EVERYTHING while still looking cute.

I drilled a hole in the top of the mason jar and took an old pump and stuck it in there. And BAAAAM a cute way to store dish soap. I hate the way the dish soap bottle looks sitting out by the sink but it's such a pain to put away because we use it ALL.THE.TIME.  So I thought this was a cute way to keep the soap. It also makes administering the soap to the brush super easy.

 Just one little push of the pump and you're ready to scrub!


The only pump we had to use was an old face wash pump which is purple. I'd like to find a more muted color pump. I'll have to wait until one of my pump bottles is about gone and use it unstead of throwing the pump away.



 -------------------------------------------------------------

Another little project we did that week was to create a curtain for under a desk. Our kitchen has a little built in desk space and since we don't use it as a desk we like to store things under it where the chair would usually go. But the stuff under there was an eyesore. So I bought a tiny little curtain rod for like a buck and my roommate sewed a little curtain.


Super cheap and easy and now you'll never know what's hidden under there... unless you are a perv and lift up the skirt. Ha jk.

I got a sewing machine from Santa this Christmas so I can't wait to start on my own DIY sewing projects!!! If anyone has any easy sewing tips, projects, etc please please please let me know!

I'll leave you with this little gem of a picture.



Yes, you should all be jealous this cute sleepy little baby squirrel is all mine (for some reason I like to call little puppies & kids baby squirrels - it's odd i know)...

Smell ya later DIYers.

No comments:

Post a Comment