new

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

you scream, I scream, we all scream FOR...

Quote:  " I doubt whether the world holds for any one a more soul-stirring surprise than the first adventure with ice-cream." -Heywood Broun 


ICE CREAM
Since moving into a new apartment I've had an itch to start cooking more. I have a whole folder on my computer full of delicious looking recipes I'd like to try my hand at. The problem with me and cooking is that I get impatient easily. I also always think it's ok to "guesstimate", leave out items, substitute items, etc. So basically I struggle at following recipes. WHICH can be a PROBLEM. ***Especially when baking -don't even get me started on baking...you definately have to follow directions there and I never do. Baking is like an exact science and I am a terrible scientist apparently. Anyway- back to cooking. I can't wait to start cooking and making dinners.

So in the cooking mindset I decided to get myself a homemade ice cream maker (oh brother). I saw it on Craigslist for $20 so I figured "Hey, for 20 bucks why not take a stab at it?". My neighbor always makes us homemade ice cream and it is suuuuuper delicious. The ice cream maker I got can make soft serve and then you can freeze the soft serve if you want regular harder ice cream. The one I got is pictured below:





So I met the guy at a QT parking lot (could be sketchier it could have been a shell station jk) and gave him $20 and took home this little beauty.

You have to freeze the canister for 24 hours so I put it straight in the freezer and waited a day. After work yesterday I came home to start making some ice cream. You have to prepare the ingredients before hand by cooking them on the stove (because of the egg) and then cooling them in the freezer for an hour. I, of course, didn't follow the directions exactly because I was short about a cup of light cream. I figured it'd be ok... like usual.

After I poured the mixture in the machine and let it do it's thang I tested the ice cream. It was pretty good but not quite perfect. It tasted a little off (kinda more egg-y). I think this was because I didn't use enough cream. But all in all my first try wasn't half bad and it was definately EDIBLE which was a surprise to me.

Next up I'm going to steer away from simple vanilla and make coffee flavored I think. AND I'm going to make sure I have the exact ingredients!

I'm sure after this long post about basically nothing your mouths are watering and you want an ice cream cone. I'd suggest going to Chik-Fil-A and getting an Ice Dream Cone. They are AWESOME.

Smell ya later.

No comments:

Post a Comment