Monday, February 6, 2012

Puppy Panic Attack

Quote: "A good dog deserves a good bone." -US Proverb

*warning: if you don't like to talk about puppy barf don't read ha

So last night I had my very first "mommy scare". It was the worst feeling in the world and it was just for my puppy. I cannot imagine that feeling when it's for my own human child.

I went home to my parents house for the superbowl last night. I was spending the night there because I had an early doctors appointment close by this morning. At about 11:30 pm my dad was taking some ibuprofen and dropped one. Little baby Reecie swooped right in and ate the ibuprofen as my dad tried to quickly grab it. I immediately tried to get it out of her mouth but it was too late.

My dad thought she'd be fine since it was only 200mg and he took her upstairs to snuggle with her.

I started to feel weird about it and I googled what happens if a 10 pound puppy gets an ibuprofen. The results were really scary!!!

Ibuprofen causes kidney failure and internal bleeding in dogs. Reecie is small so the one pill was really dangerous for her. Other dogs her size have died because of eating just one pill.

I quickly called the Emergency 24 hour vet and they said I needed to make her vomit immediately.

We had to squirt 1/2 a tablespoon of Hydrogen Peroxide into her mouth. Within 5 minutes she stood up and vomitted. I praised the good Lord for allowing my puppy to yak. I never thought I'd be happy to see my dog upchuck onto the floor -but hey things change when you're a puppy mom. ha

As soon as she got that pill out of her I finally felt like I could breathe. I hated knowing that she had something dangerous inside of her. It was a terrible feeling!

As soon as she threw up she was good as new and back to her normal happy puppy self.

It may sound like a minor crisis (and I guess it wasn't that big of a deal) but man was it scary for me.

Hope this post didn't make you feel gaggy. ha

******If you own a dog it is  REALLY important to know about inducing vomitting with Hydrogen Peroxide. I had NO IDEA 1/2 a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide would be a potential life saver. It's a super quick and easy way to get them to throw up whatever they ate.*****

Smell ya later.

1 comment:

  1. girl, that is scary!!!!! why is it that dogs go in for the kill and eat ANYTHING you drop on the floor...they can be so dumb! a month after we got Ernie I was at our house alone painting our room and I left him alone for 2 min and he was eating paint when I came back. I was in total panic mode crying and calling my mom, vet, of course Jon was out of town. I honestly think dogs have some pretty strong stomachs. My parents dog has eaten a whole bag of M&Ms and a chicken breast with the bone! hahaha. glad your baby is OKAY!